Like usual, I’m still in shock that it’s already Sunday. My weekend was very low key, since I was feeling under the weather and stressed from a busy week at school. Luckily, I’m feeling a lot better today and am trying to be productive. Today’s plans include taking advantage of the nice weather by taking a long walk with the Goose, cleaning the house more, and trying a new recipe for dinner! I also tried a new recipe for lunch today, as Kevin was craving some Chinese food. He loves chicken chow mein, so I decided to attempt making it instead of ordering out. It definitely ended up hitting the spot this afternoon and was cheaper/healthier than the take out version! Here’s the recipe, which I adapted from the recipe included on Sun Bird’s Chow Mein seasoning packet.
Chicken Chow Mein for 2
- 6 oz or so of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut in small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- one small can of sliced waterchesnuts
- 1 tsp brown sugar (or regular sugar)
- 2 tablespoons light or regular soy sauce
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water
- Sun Bird Chow Mein Seasoning Mix (1/2 packet)
- crispy Chow Mein noodles
- White rice or noodles (for serving)
- Mix the brown sugar, water, soy sauce, and Seasoning mix together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a skillet, put the oil in and cook the chicken. Once it is cooked, add in the celery, carrots, onion, and water chestnuts. Stir fry for about 4-5 minutes until the veggies are softened. If you are using minute rice, I’d cook it during this step.
- Then add in the seasoning sauce from step 1 and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
- Serve on top of rice or noodles and top with the chow mein noodles. Enjoy!
Tonight, I’m making philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers for dinner. This week I’m repeating some easy favorites (skillet macaroni and cheese plus tortellini bake) plus another new recipe from Pinterest, Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes. As always, I’ll let you know how they go! Besides that, I’m just going to try to start working out more starting this week, since I have less than 2 months til Cancun! This upcoming weekend, my mom, Erin, Kevin, and Kevin’s mom are going to look at a few venues so we can finalize a wedding date! Yay!