I love fall dishes–nothing helps warm you up on a chilly day more than a delicious bowl of creamy pasta or a rich, comfort food dish. Thanks to Pinterest, I was able to find on a blog another awesome one pot recipe called “One Pot Cheesy Smoked Sausage Skillet” that seemed similar to the Hunt’s Italian Sausage dish that is a favorite with my family. I mixed it up a bit–I added some apple in there, as I love the combo of onions, sausage, and apples in dishes. I also added in some additional veggies, in this case I put in some mushrooms. Kevin is a picky eater but I wanted to up the vitamin content. Then, as always, I reduced the serving size to 2-3 people. In the end, it is such an amazing mix of flavors with the onions, the sweetness of the apples, and the savory sausage. It was definitely one of my favorites and one I can see making a lot this fall and winter. The picture doesn’t do it justice.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or butter
- 2-3 chicken sausage or pork sausage links, sliced (I used Trader Joe’s Smoked Apple & Chardonnay one)
- 1/2 cup diced onion (I also snuck in some sliced mushrooms–you can easily put some other veggies like mushrooms, spinach, or kale to add some veggies to picky eaters)
- 1/4 cup chopped apple
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/2 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (I used Hunt’s No Salt Added)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or milk
- 6 oz dry penne pasta (about 2 1/4 cup dry penne pasta)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each (can throw in some oregano in there too)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, for garnish if wanted
- Add olive oil or butter to a 4-5 quart saute pan over medium high heat. Add onions (and other veggies), apples, & sausage and cook until lightly browned (about 3-4 minutes). Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, and seasonings. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Turn off the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of cheese. Top with sliced scallions and serve.
- Makes about 2 servings.